- Senior Post-doctoral researcher at Computer and Robot Vision Laboratory, located in the Instituto de Sistemas e Robótica, one of the research centers at Instituto Superior Técnico, which is the Engineering school of Universidade de Lisboa.
- Academic year 2015/2016. Visting Professor (Professor convidado) at the Electrical and Computers Engineering Department of Instituto Superior Técnico
- 2012-2017. Assistant Professor at the Engineering Faculty of Universidade Lusófona
M. Sc. in Computer Science and Software Engineering. Universidad de los Andes, 2002
Computer Science and Software Engineering. Universidad de los Andes, 2000
Mechanical Engineering. Universidad de los Andes, 1998
Ph. D. Thesis
Title: “Object component models using Gabor filters for visual object recognition.” (PDF)
Supervisor: José Santos-Victor
Co-supervisor: Alexandre Bernardino
Short summary: In this thesis we explore the properties of Gabor functions in the context of component-based object recognition. Current component-based object recognition approaches represent objects as constellation of sub-parts, dividing the problem in three stages: interest region selection, image region description and, eventually, the recognition step. We introduce novel methods using Gabor filters for interest point selection and image region description. Performance is evaluated with state-of-the-art object recognition architectures.
Current research projects
Researcher on the AHA project (Augmented Human Assistance)
Researcher on the INSIDE project (Intelligent Networked Robot Systems for Symbiotic Interaction with Children with Impaired Development)
Previous research projects
Co-principal investigator on the First-MM project (Flexible Skill Acquisition and Intuitive Robot Tasking for Mobile Manipulation in the Real World).
Researcher on the MAIS+S project (Multiagent Intelligent Surveillance System).
Research assistant on the URUS (Ubiquitous Networking Robotics in Urban Settings) project.
Research assistant on the CAVIAR (Context Aware Vision using Image-based Active Recognition) project.
Current research interests
- Robotics: Visually oriented grasping and object affordances
- Computer Vision: Visual object recognition and human activity recognition in videos
Previous research interests